Monday, April 6, 2009

Banned

One of my upcoming assignments is to read a banned book. I related this to my fiancee and she was like, "So...how are you supposed to read it?" I got a laugh out of it, but it's a fair question, I suppose. A book can be recommended to be banned but it's up to each library or library system whether or not to remove it. Typically speaking, public libraries are big supporters of free speech. I can't think of or recall hearing any stories about books being removed from public libraries.

If you're interested in a list of the most frequently challenged books, you can find it here.

For the record, I chose to read The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier, because it is one of the most frequently challenged books.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

I read The Chocolate War. It was either assigned in school or I read it for school. I'm surprised people want it banned; but then again, people are crazy, so there's that.