Sunday, February 22, 2009

Turn the Page

For some reason I've never figured out, the job of the library Page is severely looked down upon. Typically, they work a 4 hour shift, 5 days a week since it's a part time job. Of that 4 hours, a good 3 hours and 45 minutes of it is spent standing on your feet. Any time we are seeing taking a rest or standing still for a minute at our branch is typically met with a "Have we run out of things to do?" query from the head librarian.

So let me get this straight - if it's slow at the front desk, clerks can sit down and read a book. If it's slow at the reference desk, librarians are sitting down, can read a book or go on the internet. And if it's slow for a page...well, you're supposed to find work to do.

I was recently told I need to work on my "time management skills" and to "pick up the pace" which completely baffled me. My shelving is consistently done in less than 1 1/2 hours every day. If it looks like I'm "wandering" around the library, it's because I'm looking for shit to do! I don't like to stand still or hide in the stacks. If I go up to the front to pick up 6 DVDs, it's because I want the exercise and putting away 6 DVDs is something to do.

The unfair part is I wasn't even given a chance to speak on this. I was simply told all this and sent on my way.

If all of my assignments are done in half the time of my shift, how can I possibly manage my time better? Sounds like I'm kicking a lot of ass if you ask me. Which they didn't. They just went on their assumptions that I was killing time and "wandering" around the library. So lame.

1 comment:

addy said...

LAME!!!!

They are obviously jealous of your ability to kick ass at what you do. It makes them all look like lazy bums. Sorry man!